Westby Cooperative Creamery was formed in 1903 by a group of family dairy farms with a purpose. Today, that purpose is called "sustainability." One hundred years ago, that purpose was called "responsibility, commitment, and pride."
It is now, as it was then, the responsibility, commitment, and pride of our family dairy farms to manage their land, their cows, and the natural resources that surround them to ensure the future of that farm and this cooperative for the next generation. Such sustainability is now being managed by the fourth and fifth generations of our dairy farm families; branded with the pride of our home town community, Westby, Wisconsin.
We are a vertically integrated dairy products cooperative. This means our products start as fluid milk from the cows of our local dairy farms, delivered fresh to our creamery, and manufactured by traditional recipes into cultured dairy food products and hard cheeses.
- As farmers, we make our living off the land; we are the original "conservationists and environmentalists" committed to conserving natural resources for today's efficiencies and tomorrow's productivity. We demonstrate our knowledge and experience by converting these natural resources into fluid milk and high quality dairy foods for human consumption.
- As farmer-owners we share a philosophy in ensuring the best welfare of our animals by producing rBST-Free milk*; no synthetic hormones are used in our cows to produce more milk. (* no significant difference has been shown between milk from rBST-treated or non rBST-treated cows.)
- An increasing number of our dairy farms are also certified as "organic" by the Midwest Organic Services Association (MOSA).
- As business owners, we recognize that our long term business success, on our farms and in our manufacturing facility, depends on productive energy and water use, efficient milk and dairy food products production, waste management and recycling, sustainable packaging, and supply chain optimization.
- We are committed to conducting our business operations in accordance with all applicable regulations and laws, and to engaging with our various stakeholders in developing responsible standards and initiatives that support our policies.
- We make every effort for an injury-free workplace through a safety program with extensive training and employee engagement in health and wellness.
As the farmer-owners of Westby Cooperative Creamery we are connected to our customers. It is our product in the refrigerators and on the tables of consumers who are also our neighbors, living in the cities and towns across the region. It is with pride in the traditions of our past, our responsibilities of the present, and our commitment to the future, that we ask our customers to ? Take home country goodness from Westby.